Combining a variety of modalities to effectively help your system integrate scar tissue and reduce the negative and dysfunctional nature scar tissue can have on your physiological and emotional wellbeing.
Scar tissue is fibrous tissue that replaces normal tissue after an injury or surgery. This means it’s very strong however, it lacks elastin which gives us flexibility. Also, the quality of the scar tissue is inferior to the tissue it replaces.
As a visual, I like to compare scars to icebergs, what you see on the surface is just the tip of what’s going on underneath. A scar can pull the fascia (connective tissue) and which direction on the surrounding area, taking away stability and function in areas that may seem unrelated (really anything goes here, as everyone will heal differently).
Scar tissue moves different, feels different and acts differently to your normal tissue. The tension created by the scar creates a lot of proprioceptive input into the Motor Control Centre – and since sensory input informs motor output scars can really screw up movement patterns.
Many or all of these symptoms can change dramatically with one application… even after decades.
- Numbness or desensitisation in or around the area of the scar
- The feeling of disconnection between lower and upper body (especially C section scars)
- Physical appearances such as the texture and colouration
- Caesarean section scars
- Hysterectomy scars
- Spinal surgery scars
- Trauma scars such as those typically found on the knee
- Head wound scars
- Mastectomy scars etc…
- Amputation scars
- Underlying scar tissue from laparoscopic surgery
Also, underlying invisible scars:
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Certain cases of frozen shoulder
- Sports injuries (such as quadriceps and hamstring tears)
- Axillary Web Syndrome (AWS)
- Underlying scar tissue from surgeries or tissue traumas
- Any areas of dense fibrous tissue
Initial Consultation and Treatment:
Sessions last 75 minutes and include a detailed history intake of all your past medical and injury history, past and current lifestyle habits followed by a detailed assessment which helps formulate the best course of treatment to progress with helping you work towards your long term goal.
Sessions last 60 minutes and follow on from the initial consultation and treatment session. We discuss how things have been since the last session, how compliant you have been with any corrective homework assigned, re-assess and formulate how best to progress on with the treatment.